Wednesday, April 10, 2013

March of the Living, Poland

 

       "The March of the Living is an annual educational program, which brings students from all over the world to Poland, in order to study the history of the Holocaust and to examine the roots of prejudice, intolerance and hate."

       I was selected to participate in the March of the Living 2013 and therefore I left the school on Thursday morning for 5 days with other 6 UWCAD students to Warsaw. There we met with other 18 students from other 6 UWC which we never met before. First I have to say that this trip should be split into two different parts. The first part I would call the fun part because meeting all the new people who are sharing your kind of experience on the other side of this planet is really interesting and finding out information about their school and your co-years there. I must thanks our sponsor who was so kind and pay for this trip as we had the most comfortable accommodation and especially the breakfast was delicious.
        Now I would like to move to the main reason why we were there. Maybe sad but definitely important to all of us. As we came from 25 different countries all over the world we came because of different reasons and interests. But what I believe that we all want to do in the future is to spread what we heard and seen as it is important to remember what Holocaust is. The whole program was prepared very neatly as we were accompanied by very interesting people.
        Trip started in Warsaw where we visited the Museum of Polish uprising in 1944 or the Warsaw centre, we have been to Treblinka, then Krakow and "finally" Auschwitz. For me personally, it was very strong and emotional experience and I believe that it is important to share this experience so it would never ever happen again. The most interesting quote we heard was from a French survival who came to talk to us: "All I wanted to do was to live one hour more than Hitler." I wish I could explain you what I felt but that is impossible. I came there with many questions but I came back with even more. I wish I could say that I understand why it happend and how it could happen but I can't. All I know is that I'm lucky.







No comments:

Post a Comment